If you are thinking of booking travel or your next family vacation through a travel agent, here is an important list of questions to ask your potential travel agent. Asking questions prior to selecting a travel agent to assist you can ensure you select just the right agent to plan and book your itinerary.
- What destinations work well with my/our specific interests?
- What is the best time of year to travel to this destination?
- What excursions and/or activities do you suggest?
- What is the area of your agency’s expertise?
- What is your personal travel history?
- Have you visited my travel destination?
- How much experience do you have booking travel and excursions to this area?
- Do you offer travel insurance or refunds if my trip is cancelled?
- What documents do I need to carry with me when I travel?
- Do I need a passport or visa?
- Transaction Fees:
a. Are all purchases (hotel, cars, excursions, and airfare) placed into one booking and charged a single transaction fee?
b. Do you charge separate transaction fees for each booking?
c. Do you charge a transaction fee for changes to hotel, tickets or car rental? If so, is this fee waived if changes are done within a certain time period?
- Are there cheaper alternatives to the selections you are making for my trip?
a. Can I save money by flying at different times of day?
b. Can I save money by choosing a room at a different hotel?
c. What days of the week are the least expensive for travel and touring?
- What deposits or up-front trip costs will I have to pay?
- Are my tickets refundable or can they be used in for a future trip for a fee?
- How/when can I reach you when on my trip in case of emergency? Do you have a toll-free number?
- Are you willing to be available after business hours if necessary?
US Travel Insurance Association (UStiA)
UStiA is a national association of insurance carriers, third-party administrators, insurance agencies and related businesses involved in the development, administration and marketing of travel insurance and travel assistance products.