Diarrhea caused by bacteria in food is so common among travelers that they call it "Traveler's Diarrhea." To protect yourself from Traveler's diarrhea, avoid foods most likely to carry bacteria, such as:
- Unpasteurized milk, cheese, yogurt.
- Fresh fruits and uncooked vegetables, including salad, which can contain both bacteria and parasites.
- Any cooked food that has been sitting at room temperature, even for a relatively short time.
- Food sold from carts on the street, no matter how tasty it looks!
- Tap water, fruit juices and ice. Drink only bottled water to avoid exposure to bacteria.