Contact Your Family In an Emergency While Overseas

When normal methods of communication can't find you, how will your family reach you in an emergency, if:
  • You are traveling in a remote area lacking a communications infrastructure? 
  • You are stranded in a developing country where a political crisis is occurring, and communications are problematic? 
If your family needs to reach you in an emergency, the U.S. Office of Overseas Citizens Services can contact the U.S. embassy or consulate in your destination country and have them pass a message to you.

To use this free service, simply register your trip before departure, so the service will know where to find you. Register online at or call 1-888-407-4747 (toll free). To call from overseas, dial 202-501-4444.

The State Department also reminds all overseas travelers to leave copies of the following items at home before departing:
  • A detailed itinerary for your entire trip.
  • A copy of your passport. 
  • Biographical data about you.