Traveler Services Provided by US Department of State

The United States Foreign Service or US Department of State has Embassies or Consular offices in nearly every country or region of the globe. Each office is staffed by US Citizens and Foreign Service Nationals (FSN’s) who are available 24/7 in case of emergency.

They can assist with all types of emergencies including but not limited to:

  • Lost or Stolen Passports
  • Financial Assistance
  • Arrest/Incarcerations
  • Medical Emergencies
  • Death of U.S. Citizens Abroad
  • General Emergency Information

Important phone numbers for contacting the Department of State are listed on the first few pages of your US passport. If your passport has been lost or stolen, you may wish to contact Overseas Citizens Services, (202) 647-5225 at the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C. for immediate assistance.

You are encouraged to register your travel itinerary with the Department of State prior to travel to make the government aware of your presence in a country. In case of emergencies related to terrorism, natural disasters, or legal problems, the U.S. government would know how and where to contact you and provide assistance with emergency evacuation planning or travel arrangements. For a complete list of assistance provided by the Department of State visit


Gabrielle Bartusiak, RN
President/CEO Rescue Nurse International. Has traveled solo to more than 70 countries world wide and has repatriated 100's of patients over her career.